Friday, April 9, 2010

Fashion Flashback -- Aaliyah

Today our fashion flashback comes from Aaliyah Dana Haughton. She stepped out onto the scene in 1994 at 15-years-old with her smash hit “Back & Forth” from her debut album “Age Ain’t Nothin’ But A Number.” I still remember hearing “Back & Forth” for the first time till this day. I was about seven-years-old and my sisters had the song on a cassette tape that they recorded off the radio. Let me tell you, we listened to that song, over, and over, and over again! We knew the all the words and I even practiced the dance in the mirror. (F.Y.I -- I was an avid mirror dancer and singer as a child.) I fell in love with Aaliyah from that point. Read more to find out about this fashion flashback.


When the video came out, it was apparent Aaliyah was a tremendous young talent with her own sound and style. And her style was so distinct! Aaliyah had the sexy tom-boy swag on point. In her videos, she was always rocking baggy pants paired with a tight belly top or a revealing bra top. She always exposed her fit and trim mid-drift. And I say, “If you got it flaunt it.” That look was Aaliyah’s staple.

Let’s not forget, Aaliyah’s beautiful long black hair and her sweeping bang, which half the time fully covered one of her eyes. That hair style was one that one could forget or duplicate.

No matter what, women wanted to dress like Aaliyah and men wanted their ladies to look like the young starlet. From album to album her style developed from a girl into a young woman, however some elements stuck with her till the end.


Whatever Aaliyah wore during brief, yet successful seven-year career, her signature look could never be forgotten. And for this great style, Aaliyah gets out liipstik seal of approval and is our fashion flashback for the day. Here’s one of my Aaliyah fav’s “Hot Like Fire.” RIP!




Xoxo
Liipstik

No comments:

Post a Comment