Monday, September 13, 2010

MTV VMA 2010 -- Fashion Recap and Liipstik Approved!

Last night my ABSOLUTE favourite award show, the MTV Video Music Awards, took place at the Nokia Theatre in L.A. What I love about this award show is that it's a different experience every year and you never know what to expect.

My favourite thing about this year's show was the venue! From the carpet to the inside of the Nokia Theatre, everything looked so modern, fresh and futuristic. This year MTV decided to ditch the traditional red carpet and go for a white carpet. I LOVED!!! That was the best thing about the show. All the celebs literally looked like they were floating on clouds. It was really elegant and just different. Everyone just shined and stood out a bit more.

Unfortunately this year, the biggest surprise, besides Cher, was suppose to be Rihannah performing with Eminem. Ummm, I don't know about you, but that wasn't that much of a big surprise. Usually a big surprise for the VMA's is a music legend/icon performing or something like that. But Rih-Rih just wasn't it for me. Sorry!

The biggest surprise to me was the fashion or the lack there of. Of course Lady Gaga stole the show with her theatrical outfits. First she sported an Alexander McQueen Fall 2010 gown with shoes from his spring collection and topped with a gold feathered Philip Tracey hat. Then she switched into a black Giorgio Armani. Gaga finished off the night in her most dramatic outfit, her meat dress designed by Franc Fernandez. For Gaga her outfit was more of a political statement, then a waste of a good meal. The pop superstar said, "For me this evening, if we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights pretty soon, we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on own bones. And, I am not a piece of meat.” Either way, Gaga you and your fashions always have me on the edge of my seat.






But, overall I wasn't very impressed. To me, many of the ladies on the white carpet went for fashion choices that were very nice but predictable and safe. Don't get me wrong, the ladies still looked stunning and I would still borrow any of their dresses right off their back if they gave me the chance. But their outfits could not hold a candle to Gaga's fashion flame last night. Here are our top three fashion choices for the ladies.

1. America's Next Top Model Cycle 3 Winner, Eva Marcille in a sparkly dress paired with blue platform heels.



2. Ciara in Givenchy Fall 2010 Couture



3. California Girl, Katy Perry in a sheer one-shoulder black sequined embellished dress by Marchesa from the Fall 2010 collection.




For me, the men stole the show!! I think their fashion and swag totally outdid the ladies of the night. I think Kayne's line described the look for the guys at the show, "Let's have a toast to the Jerkoffs!" To me it's basically was saying, I don't care what you think, I'm going to do what I want and let's have toast to me. And that is what the boys did. Pharrell and Travie McCoy's relaxed, "I don't care," skater boy swag was flawless.

But Kanye and Pusha T really looked the cutest to me. No one expects to see Pusha in a coral blazer! No one. And he pulled it off so well. I actually said, "Oh, he looks so cute" when he made his debut during Kanye's performance. And Ye in his red pants and jacket, with deep black v-neck, gold chains and matching red sneakers screams SWAG!




And for their killer performance, undeniable fashion and killer swag Kayne and Pusha are our Liipstik Approved choices for the night.

Watch the performance here! "Let's toast to the scumbags!"

xoxo
Liipstik

No comments:

Post a Comment